Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Everyone Loses It

On the way home from school mum called my phone.

"Hey I'm going to pick up pies at the farm can you come with me so we can get the discount?"
"Sure but can I eat something first?"
"I need to get Aisling to violin practice at 3:00."
"Well I want something to eat before we go..."
"Fine then I just won't go"
*Call Ended

I wasn't even going to bother. She was obviously just raring to be a bitch today. But I figured she would just be ready to leave when I got home so I could quickly grab something before we headed out... nope.

She wasn't home. I sent her a message asking where she was and she responded that she was dropping Aisling off at violin. I told her I'd be waiting to leave when she got home but she never responded.

When she did enter the house, right away there was commotion.
"No because he had to eat!"

I rushed downstairs to defend myself.
"It could have taken me all of 20 seconds to eat something mom! I could have just grabbed something and ate it in the car! It's not like I had to sit down and have a huge fucking meal!"

"Well with you I don't know what you want!"
"Okay then let's go get the pies now."
"No. Forget it! We just won't get any pies for Thanksgiving and you can just try explaining that to your father!"
I was walking up to my room but kept talking. "Oh yes because it's my fault you don't want to get off your ass and get them!"
"Now I'll just do everything around picking the little one up at violin and hockey and the million other--"
"Just pisser off!"

I sat up in my room, hoping to end this nonsense, but of course mum was just looking for something else she can yell at.
"Who drank all the milk?"

I went back downstairs to fight her off once more, mumbling to myself as I walked down the stairs... "Shit, mum, it's not like the milk is meant for us to just look at. Why don't you buy more milk instead of bitching about how we keep drinking it every week?..."

"I had one freaking cup of it!" Kavanaugh was fighting off mum now.
"You didn't have to use all the milk in that drink, though!"
It all fit in one cup didn't it?
"Fine I'll go out and get more milk!"
"No! Forget it! I'll add it to my list of things as well! Don't bother!"

"Well why the fuck not?" Amy chimed in at mum, obviously noting her incredible idiocy in just trying to make things more complicated for herself.
"I know! I'm offering to help out but what doe sit do to not let us?" Kav input again.
Amy added, "I have a car too, mum! I'll get the pies and Kav can get the milk! Stop trying to make things even fucking worse on yourself and then get mad at us for making you do all this!"
She walked out of the kitchen with her bag, which made mum assume she was leaving?
"Where do you think you're going?"
Amy really laid it out. "I'm just putting my stuff away! Calm the fuck down, mum!" She stopped. "No, you REALLY need to calm down!"

Mum walked into the dining room and pointed at a pile of stuff in the corner of the room and looked at me.
"Is that your belt? How many times have I asked you to pick it up? Huh? How many times?"
I stared at her in disbelief and then said, "It was one fucking time, mum!" As I picked up the belt.
"No! Every time I pass that table I tell you to pick it up and you never do!"
"Bullshit!" I snapped back. I held the two end of the belt, barely refraining from whipping her with a good snap of the leather.
"And take that hat with you, too! You people leave all your shit just laying around here! And you just ignore me whenever I tell you to pick it up!"
I twisted the belt tightly in my hands. Mum had fire in her eyes, and I swear if she had laid a finger on me she was going to get a nice blister across her face from my little leather buddy. But I just left.

"Fine, I'm going upstairs. But don't ask for any help with anything since you obviously don't want it."

As I was writing this post, I overheard Abby come home with a friendly "Hellooooo!" to mum.
"Don't start I'm in no fucking mood." She just sat on the couch with her arms crossed. So this is what happens when she knows she's lost a battle.

But don't think the family's at each others' throats because of this. After an hour or so mum called me back down.
"Come on, we're getting the pies now."

Live.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my family when I was back in Rhode Island, many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys are sure good at pulling each other's chains.
    It is too bad you don't show a bit more respect for your mother. Of course parents are not perfect any more than teenagers. But, having an attitude of respect and understanding sure goes a long way to improving family relationships.Anyone ever tell you you are rather egotistic?
    --carlitos

    ReplyDelete