Thursday, November 18, 2010

GSA

Yeah. Thanks to Nick I finally made it around to tone of those damn meetings. And just like the last time I dropped in on a meeting, it was an extra special day. Apparently there was going to be a bunch of teachers meeting who are going to be a part of the Gay Straight Alliance.

I was surprised to find that My English teacher was even here. And even more surprised to find my History teacher as well. I never talked about her before but she is one of the nicest teachers I have ever had. She's probably one of the only educators who gives a shit about her students. If it wasn't for her, I'd be getting a C- in her class instead of the A.

Greg, my English teacher whose name I finally knew thanks tot he meeting, had been a strong supporter of the GSA for the entire 12 years it had been around. Pretty long time for a club with such a small amounts of students.

One year the club got no participants at all so the instructor stopped announcing it in the mornings. Unfortunately that year a student had committed suicide. It was later found out that he killed himself because his life was tormented by anti-gay bullies. The instructor felt so guilty that she had stopped because maybe if the boy had heard that there was someplace where he could go then maybe his life wouldn't have been cut short. And from that day on the club has been promoted every two weeks.

After the meeting we all sat down in the lobby to wait for our rides home. I snuck up behind Nick and gave him a hug around the shoulders. He freaked out because he was falling off balance.

"Whoa! Don't tip me over. If you do I'll kill you."

"Oh yeah?" I grabbed him. "I dare you! I double dare you motherfucker!" It would have sounded cooler if I wasn't laughing so hard. I tipped him back so my arms were the only thing keeping him up. He squealed, shouting for me to put him back and not let go. And when I did I just hugged him to prevent any revenge plots :3

It was then that Nick saw his dad's truck parked out front so we quickly kissed goodbye and left.

*reaches into pocket and pulls out small red capsule* FUCK! I never took my meds! Tomorrows gonna suck...

Live.

2 comments:

  1. ......Sounds like a pretty nice day for you, Tort. Hope they just keep on rolling along.

    You're lucky. You know where you're at. I didn't. So when I look back to those wonderful teenage years in the early 1960's, I remember those special moments; and dream about the "what ifs" and "if onlys". It's what turns sweet into bittersweet.

    "BRAVO ZULU"

    ............"FOGGY"...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool to hear you finally made it to a GSA meeting. You seem to be pretty comfortable with you are, so maybe you don't need the "support" element of the GSA so much. But I'm willing to bet there are other kids out there who are still trying to figure things out, and probably just being there is helpful to them (assuming said kids are brave enough to even show their faces at the meeting). Glad to see so much support from the teachers as well.

    I went to high school pre-internet, when absolutely *no one* came out at high school (or at least at one I went to. And frankly it would have taken balls of steel if you had wanted to).

    ReplyDelete